2019 Project Timeline
Nov. 19 (of 2018) to Jan. 21 - Entry Period
Jan. 22 to Jan. 28 - Selection Period
Feb 16 - Artist Workshop @ The Cincinnati Zoo
Feb. 10 to Mar. 29 - Painting Period
Mar. 28 to Mar 30 - Rain Barrel Dropoff @ The Cincinnati Zoo
Apr. 1 - Apr. 25 - Rain Barrels Displayed @ The Cincinnati Zoo
Apr. 15 to 25 - Rain Barrel Art Online Auction
April 25 - Party for the Planet, Auction Finale, and Artist Reception
How do I participate?
1. Go to the entry form and submit your idea for approval.
2. If your design is approved, attend the artist workshop on February 10.
3. Pick up your rain barrel at the end of the workshop.
4. Return your rain barrel by Mar. 31 and visit it at the Cincinnati Zoo.
What happens after I return the barrel?
1. Barrels are displayed throughout the Zoo between April 1 and April 25.
2. Barrels will be auctioned online between April 15 and April 25.
3. The money raised from the auction will be used for environmental education at SaveLocalWaters.org and at the Zoo.
Rain barrels are an excellent way to save both money and water. And adding beautiful artwork to your rain barrel makes it more personable and aesthetically pleasing! (If you are not the artistic type but wish to own a beautiful rain barrel, this project ends in an auction of these gorgeous rain barrels in April!)
The Rain Barrel Art Project is designed to educate people on environmental issues like storm water runoff, watersheds and water conservation. To learn more about this project and other stormwater education campaigns visit SaveLocalWaters.org
If you are looking to purchase a rain barrel before the April auction that you can paint yourself, check out the 2019 Annual Tree Seedling Sale! Rain barrels can be purchased through our tree sale. View the 2019 catalog for details!